Tuesday, June 12, 2018

When the storms come....



This is from June 2013:

So last weekend, we had some severe weather in our area. Severe enough that some places were without power for several days. My family and my parents spent 45 minutes huddled in a basement storage area with the dog. The boys were fine, but my eight year old daughter was a mess. She hates storms. She always has. I know how she feels. I spent much of my life terrified of  tornadoes.



After the bad stuff was past and just the rain remained I stood with my daughter in the garage watching what was left. The lightning was frequent. The wind, while not damaging, was still strong. The thunder was loud, and the rain came in sheets. My eight year old looks up at me and says, “Mom, why is God so mad at us?” My heart froze. This is how it looks to her. God is angry, and she is trying to make sense of why. Essentially, she was asking why God is willing to frighten her so.



I really think this is the view the world has of my God. He sits on his throne passing out calamity here and there to drive us crazy, to punish us, to bend us to his will and desire. And…He enjoys it! This is not the nature of my God. Does God judge? Yes. Is God Sovereign? Oh Yes, and I am so thankful for it!!!

I recall the story of Lazarus from John 11. Lazarus and his sisters, Mary and Martha were good friends of Christ. When Lazarus fell ill, the sisters quickly sent word to Jesus to let him know. They knew that he could heal the sick. They had seen him do it. But Jesus did not. He waited two more days past the arrival of the news before heading to see the sisters. By this time, Lazarus was four days dead. Upon Christ’s arrival, Jesus spoke with both sisters. Both sisters knew that if Christ would have just come in time, he could have healed their brother and Lazarus would still be there. Jesus asks to go to the tomb, and there, Jesus wept. 

He cried.



Jesus knew what he was going to do. He knew in just a few moments he would raise Lazarus from the dead. The weeping and mourning of the sisters and the gathered family and friends would soon turn to shouts of joy, and all would bring glory to God. 


But there in that moment, Jesus cried. 




Many speculate as to why he cried. Maybe because of the futility of death. Maybe because of their lack of faith. Maybe because of sin and its consequences. Maybe just because He feels with us. He knows the storm is coming on the horizon. He knows we have to go through it. He knows the lesson we will learn. And…He cries.

No comments:

Pectus Surgery - 3 Week Post Op appointment

Today, we had a post op appointment with Dr. Garcia. He says Thomas is doing great!   I can't agree more.  He is still in pain, but...