Thursday, December 10, 2015

Grandma





Grandma Mavis


Today we celebrated the life of my Grandma Mavis. I cannot tell you how bittersweet this week has been.  There is a huge hole in my heart, and yet, I know that Grandma is no longer suffering, no longer in pain, no longer in poor health.  She is totally healed, walking the streets of gold with her Savior, Jesus Christ.  Grandma lived  her life as Christ would want her too.  Loving him and loving others.  

Grandma and Grandpa showing us kids true love after almost 65 years.
Today was hard. I was asked to do a reading and share some memories during the service.  It was probably one of the most difficult things I have done.  I wanted to share my part as a tribute to my Grandmother.
Grandma Mavis (Seated) with 3 of her sisters.



No words could ever truly express how much Grandma means to me or how much I love her. So instead, I want to take a moment and share a few thoughts about my grandma. Grandma’s house was one of the most exciting places for us as kids, and the main reason was the people that lived there. Grandma made it exciting. We would play games, never ending games of skip-bo, phase Ten, Uno, and Bounce off. She would let me bake cakes, make brownies and cookies, and peel potatoes, even when more potato wound up with the peelings than in the pot. And the Ceramics…..I cannot tell you how many items she let me ruin with my lack of painting skills. Her love and patience with us was never ending.

I find myself trying to hold on to every memory I have, and searching for ones that may be lost to me. One that comes to my mind is from when I was very small. I distinctly remember her holding me quietly singing a lullaby with these words:

Go to sleep my baby dear,

I will hold you ever near,

Go to sleep and when you wake,

You shall have a piece of cake

Grandma’s caresses, Sweet loving kisses

Grandma’s caresses fall on you now.

And that is exactly how it was…She spent her life caressing us – Showering her family and friends with love in ways that will never be duplicated.

I could go on all day and tell you about the loads of laundry she did for me when I was pregnant and on bedrest, or just pregnant and huge. The cleaning, the cooking, the cards and the calls…but instead, I will leave you the wisest man’s description from Proverbs 31…

In Praise of a Capable Wife

10 Who can find a capable wife?
She is far more precious than jewels.
11 The heart of her husband trusts in her,
and he will not lack anything good.
12 She rewards him with good, not evil,
all the days of her life.
13 She selects wool and flax
and works with willing hands.
14 She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from far away.
15 She rises while it is still night
and provides food for her household
and portions for her female servants.
16 She evaluates a field and buys it;
she plants a vineyard with her earnings.
17 She draws on her strength
and reveals that her arms are strong.
18 She sees that her profits are good,
and her lamp never goes out at night.
19 She extends her hands to the spinning staff,
and her hands hold the spindle.
20 Her hands reach out to the poor,
and she extends her hands to the needy.
21 She is not afraid for her household when it snows,
for all in her household are doubly clothed.
22 She makes her own bed coverings;
her clothing is fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is known at the city gates,
where he sits among the elders of the land.
24 She makes and sells linen garments;
she delivers belts to the merchants.
25 Strength and honor are her clothing,
and she can laugh at the time to come.
26 She opens her mouth with wisdom
and loving instruction is on her tongue.
27 She watches over the activities of her household
and is never idle.
28 Her sons rise up and call her blessed.
Her husband also praises her:
29 “Many women are capable,
but you surpass them all!”
30 Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting,
but a woman who fears the Lord will be praised.
31 Give her the reward of her labor,
and let her works praise her at the city gates.

That is my Grandma. She has left me a legacy of love and of Christ that I can only hope to live up to. And I already miss her so much.

No comments:

Pectus Surgery - 3 Week Post Op appointment

Today, we had a post op appointment with Dr. Garcia. He says Thomas is doing great!   I can't agree more.  He is still in pain, but...