Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Threads of Life

Ever taken a close look at a piece of fabric?

If you look close you will see that it is made of of thousands upon thousands of single strands of thread intricately woven together to make one single fabric. It doesn't matter if it is beautiful brocade or silk or ordinary quilters cotton, burlap or taffeta. Each thread has its place in the fabric. Each thread touches other threads.

Today, I was given a gift. It was wrapped in a clear, zip up bag, but folded with the back side out. To me, it looked like a piece of quilted pink fabric. I knew what it was. I had been told about it. But, honestly, I wasn't sure what to expect. This is what a found.

DSCF4492

Thousands or maybe millions of threads, made into fabrics, and pieced into a quilt thirty years ago. Piece by my grandmother, quilted by my great-aunt. A quilt made up of old skirts, and shirts and scraps that grandma had saved. A pattern that she had seen and made up herself. Given to me today, and perfect for my daughters bed.

DSCF4490

When I think about it, I realize that Grandma pieced more than a quilt. She has pieced parts of my life, directly and indirectly through my mother.

DSCF4491

The fabric of my life was influenced by and put together by my Mom, Grandmother, Great-Grandmother and Mammi.

DSCF4493

and hers will be too.

No comments:

Pectus Surgery - 3 Week Post Op appointment

Today, we had a post op appointment with Dr. Garcia. He says Thomas is doing great!   I can't agree more.  He is still in pain, but...