Sunday, May 11, 2008

Legacy: A Mother's Day Tribute

Our Pastor asked my grandmother, my mom and I to do a presentation today. We each talked about our mothers and the heritage that they have given us. This was my part of the presentation.

Proverbs 31 starts with these words "The sayings of King Lemuel - an oracle his mother taught him." The oracle his mother taught him. This is truly what mothers do: teach. We teach with words. We teach with punishments and rewards. But mainly we teach with actions, and those actions will have a far greater impact than words every will. My mother taught me many things, but the most important thing she taught me was what it means to be a Christian. This she has lived out before me. I have seen her commitment to the Lord lived out daily. I have listened to her pray for needs: my needs, others needs, and even her own. I have watched her give faithfully of her time, and her talents, and her money, even when it seems she has nothing left to give. I have watched her put aside herself and let Christ shine through her. This is my mother. This is my heritage. The is my legacy, a baton of godliness that has been past down through the women of my family to me. And now, it is my turn with the baton. My turn to teach. My turn to teach my children all that has been passed to me. So one day, I can pass the baton to them. So that my daughter can teach her children and the legacy will continue. It is not a legacy of money, or lands, or jewels but one of love, joy, peace, and a risen Savior. I am not running alone. I have a beautiful mother and two wonderful grandmothers cheering me on. Running with me on their knees. Proverbs 31:28 says her children rise up and call her blessed. This is what I do today. I call you, mom and grandmother, blessed. And most of all, I thank you for the Legacy.

No comments:

Pectus Surgery - 3 Week Post Op appointment

Today, we had a post op appointment with Dr. Garcia. He says Thomas is doing great!   I can't agree more.  He is still in pain, but...